The compact historic built-up area of Cernobbio, fronting the lake and surrounded by villas and parks, was altered in 1871 by the new Tessiture Broggi e C works, built on a vacant site towards Como, along the straight axis of the new route of the via Regina laid out in 1815. Davide Bernasconi, the factory’s new owner, promoted a number of projects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that changed the urban appearance of the area. In addition to an expansion of the factory and new offices, it included two owners’ villas, a housing estate and new municipal schools. After World War II the area’s public function was altered, with the construction of further school buildings to cope with the changed conditions. The city council installed the middle school and the library in the offices of the derelict textile mill. Villa Bernasconi, an interesting example of Art Nouveau architecture, acquired by the city, was restored and used as an exhibition venue.
Significant architectural works
Villa Bernasconi (now the Town Hall), via Regina, 5, 1895 built; 2000 restructured as the town hall, architects Dario Valli, Simona Stucchi.
Villa Liberty (Villa Bernasconi), largo Campanini; 1905, architect Alfredo Campanini; 2010-13 restored, architect Corrado Tagliabue.
Asilo Infantile Bernasconi (Kindergarten), via Cinque Giornate, 8; 1894-99, engineer Davide Bernasconi.
Civic Primary School (then Middle School, now closed), via Regina; 1881-94, engineer Pietro Braghenti.
Primary School, via Regina 15, 1948-64, engineer Augusto Mondelli.
Primary School and Gym, via Regina, 1980 architect Enrico Mantero.
Offices of the Seterie Bernasconi (now the Civic Library and Secondary School), via Regina 5, built c. 1921, renovated for reuse 1980-90.
Housing called “Il Casone”, via Cinque Giornate, early 1900s.