Originally a modest rural village in the Alpine foothills, Brunate became a popular holiday destination in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. With the first middle-class mass tourism, the construction in 1894 of the funicular connecting it to Como and its superb position led to a phase of great vitality in the little town, shown by the many valuable villas in eclectic and Liberty (Art Nouveau) style that redefined its appearance. Unlike the historical nucleus, which developed beyond the ridge for climatic reasons, the 19th-century extension opened up to the lake and so shaped a new relationship in the territory.
Architectures of interest
Villa Cantaluppi Giuliani, via Roma 13, 1910.
Villa Pirotta, via Pirotta 5, 1902-12, architect Federico Frigerio.
Annex to Villa Pirotta Bonacossa, via Pirotta 5, 1950-51, architect Giovanni Muzio.
Villa Rebuschini, 1910-11, architect Federico Frigerio.
Villa Elisi, locality Le Colme, 1911-12, architect Antonio Sant’Elia .
Grand Hotel Milano, Piazzale Bonacossa, 1910-11, engineers Achille Manfredini and Ferri.
Villa “La Baita”, 1919-20 architect Federico Frigerio.
Besides these, there are many notable architectural works: see Cecilia De Carli, “Brunate tra Eclettismo e Liberty” Como 2009.