An area of fundamental strategic importance as a point of confluence of the roads linking Como to the principal neighbouring cities (Cantù, Milan, Varese). The system of development reflects this nodal character. Its vital and symbolic fulcrum is the piazza, where the various flows converge and are channelled towards the city centre. The great accessibility of the area has over time favoured the establishment of residential, productive and tertiary activities and this functional heterogeneity today appears one of the special features of the district.
Architectures of interest
Fountain, Piazza Camerlata, 1935-36 (designed and built at the 4th Triennale) – 1959-60 (current installation), architect Cesare Cattaneo with Mario Radice.
“Skyscraper” Istituto Autonomo Case Popolari, piazza Camerlata 1, 1962-64, engineer Tullio Novati.
Mini Hotel Baradello, Piazza Camerlata 9/A, 1967, architect Emilio Terragni, engineer Carlo Terragni.
Casa Albergo, via Pino 6, 1962, architect Emilio Terragni, UTC IACP.
Kindergarten, via Varesina 34/A, 1978-79, architect Francesco Castiglioni.
Kindergarten – Civic Centre, via Varesina 1/A, 1974-75, architects Renato Conti and Manouk Manoukian.
Ospedale Sant’Anna, via Napoleona 60, 1927-32, engineer Giulio Marcovigi.
Ospedale Sant’Anna – Monoblocco, via Napoleona 60, 1965-70, architect Ettore Rossi.
Basilica of S. Carpoforo – complex, via San Carpoforo 11th century – 16th century.
Castel Baradello, Colle Baradello via degli Alpini 12th century – 15th century.