engineer Eugenio Villoresi
Photo by Marco Cappelletti
Opened in 1894, the funicular connects Como and Brunate in seven minutes. The trip offers a wonderful view over the city’s rooftops, the lake and the Alps. The funicular has a single line, doubled at the midpoint where the uphill and downhill cabins pass. On the level of the track maintenance facility built alongside the passing section, there is a cannon (1912) that fires a blank every day at noon.