The built-up area of Fabbrica Durini is a significant example of feudal settlement, with the castle at the centre of a territorial and economic organization based on arable fields, the services associated with them and the peasants’ homes. The principal nucleus, set on a hill, includes the original castle transformed into a noble residence, flanked by other buildings, and the church of S. Andrea. The farmhouses stand at the foot of the hill. Though parts are decaying, in the nucleus it is still possible to make out the mode of its growth and development, relations between the noble and rural buildings, courtyards and community gathering places, the link with nature shaped by thousands of years of care and use, and now abandoned, like the farm buildings which no longer meet modern needs but deserve to be restored.
Significant architectural works
Villa Durini, via Castello 2; architectural complex articulated as two buildings; set on the structures of a castle of mediaeval origin: 14th-15th century; saloon, chapel and park, architect Carlo Amati, 1815; radical alterations: early 20th century.
Church of S. Andrea, built on the remains of a 15th-century oratory: c. 1780;
Bell tower, via Parini, 1944-45, architect Ambrogio Annoni.
Chapel of the Madonna, via Manzoni, early 20th century.
Cascina (farmhouse) north of Villa Durini, Case Nuove, via Volta 4, early 19th century.
Cascina (farmhouse) south of Villa Durini, Case Nuove, via Volta 5, early 19th century.
Oven of Fabbrica Durini, piazza Alessandro Durini.
Cascine (farmhouses) of via Manzoni, built prior to the Teresian Cadastre (1721-1723).
Formation of the straight road at the foot of the hill on an axis with the noble stairway giving access to Villa Durini: 1817.