1930-34: engineer Carlo Ponci
Photos by Isabella Sassi Farìas
Crowning an interest in flying that began early last century and was supported with passion by the population, in 1930 the Aero Club Como began building a hangar for an international seaplane port. A metal shed structure measuring 32 m per side by the engineer Carlo Ponci was chosen against Giuseppe Terragni’s more ambitious design for a reinforced parabolic concrete structure. Next to it are service buildings linked to the airport’s past civil and military functions. Today it mostly used for sporting and recreational activities. It is the only flying boat airport on a lake still operative in Italy.