Photo by Marco Cappelletti
Carate Quarry (the name may come from the Celtic “place of stone”), is an ancient quarry (16th century), which yielded moltrasina black flint limestone, widely used in Como.
“The stone of Moltrasio, an area of Lario, inclines towards black in colour and is very suitable for all sorts of buildings. It has already been used to build the walls and castles with towers in the city of Como. They likewise quarry there certain stones of the same kind, flat but hard and very large, which they use for roofing their houses” Francesco Ballarini, Compendio delle Croniche della Città di Como, 1619.