architects Ruggero Venelli, Cecilia Kramer
Photo by Marco Cappelletti and Sara Ruggeri
As the historical mercantile role of the area and the port was declining, Piazza di Sant’Agostino was filled with this 1930s building, redefining the sense of the urban void and confirming its strategic position in terms of infrastructure. The oval roof, under which the buses park in a centrifugal pattern, is supported by a massive system of pillars and concrete lintels. In 1952 the ticket office was partitioned off. The bus services are recorded on the elevations. The porticoed waiting area was glazed in 2002, making the shelter a sort of passage.