The area remained free from buildings until the second half of the 19th century, when the reconfiguration of the mouth of the River Cosia offered the city an area for civilian gardens and monuments. The construction of viale Cavallotti, a continuation towards the lake of the avenues along the city walls, created a visual axis between the Tempio Voltiano and the Torre del Baradello. Along it a series of buildings from the first half of the 20th century, despite the variety of their architectural vocabulary, expresses the search for order and elegance in the city’s growth.
Significant architectural works
War Memorial, viale Vittorio Veneto, 1930-33, after a drawing by Antonio Sant’Elia developed by Enrico Prampolini, engineer Attilio Terragni, architect Giuseppe Terragni.
Tempio Voltiano, viale Guglielmo Marconi, 1,1927, architect Federico Frigerio.
Monument to the European Resistance, viale Guglielmo Marconi, 1982-1983, artist Gianni Colombo.
Istituto Giosue Carducci, Museo Casartelli (Università dell’Insubria), viale Cavallotti 3-7, 1909-10, architect Cesare Mazzocchi; 1920-21 extension architect Cesare Mazzocchi, engineer Luigi Catelli.
Residential building (Deutsche Bank), Viale Cavallotti 3a, 1928, engineer Luigi Catelli.
Cinema Teatro Politeama, piazza Cacciatori delle Alpi 3, 1909, architect Federico Frigerio. (Not functional.)
Villa Taroni (neo-Renaissance building), viale Cavallotti 8, early 20th century, engineer Piero Ponci.
Villa Savonelli, viale Cavallotti 6, 1929, engineer Francesco Somaini.
Garage Vidossich, via Rubini 18, 1926, engineer F. Ferradini.
Palazzo Subalpina, viale Cavallotti 6c, 1950-54, architect Vittorio Faglia, engineer Pietro Allodi.
Palazzo Barazzoni, via Garibaldi 49, 1925-26, engineer Gianni Mantero.