1565-1570 construction of first building
1856 construction of first hotel core
1873 conversion into hotel
Photo by Walter Mair
The Villa, originally called Villa Garovo after the river that flows nearby, was built in 1568 for Tolomeo Gallio, probably as a summer residence. There followed periods of neglect and fashionable splendour, in which various owners adorned the interiors and gardens. The name Nuova Villa d’Este was due to Caroline of Brunswick, Princess of Wales in 1815. In 1856 the Ciani family of Lugano built a new edifice to house an exclusive hotel business. The main villa was also subsequently converted into a luxury hotel.